Philippines Lowest Among 58 Countries in Global Assessment for Math and Science

0 Shares

Students from the Philippines scored the lowest among the students from the 58 countries that participated in the global assessment called Trends in International Mathematics and Science Study 2019 (TIMSS). This is bad news for the country, especially with the recent low ratings that the country has also received in other global ratings for students.

The global assessment for mathematics and science was conducted for grade 4 and grade 8 students, but the Philippines only participated in the assessment for grade 4.

Photo credit: PhilStar

Under the TIMSS, there are 4 International Benchmarks that are used to determine the students’ competence: Low International Benchmark (400), Intermediate International Benchmark (475), High International Benchmark (550), and Advanced International Benchmark (625).

Of all the countries that participated, Singapore topped both assessments, with the grade 4 students gaining ratings of 625 and 595 for mathematics and science, respectively. Moreover, the country also topped the grade 8 assessment with ratings of 616 and 608 for mathematics and science, respectively.

In comparison, the students from the Philippines received ratings that are “significantly lower” that any other participating country with scores of 297 and 249 for mathematics and science, respectively.

What’s worse, only 19% of these Filipino students actually reached the Low International Benchmark of 400 for math. The rest, comprising 81%, were not able to reach this level; thus, they contributed to the much lower scores that the country received as a whole.

Meanwhile, only 13% of the Filipino students reached the low benchmark while the rest, comprising 87%, were not able to even reach the low benchmark level.

Photo credit: PhilStar

Responding to the dismal results, the Department of Education (DepEd) acknowledges the importance of the global assessment and plans to use this as guide to recover and “bounce back”.

Our standing policy is to translate these international assessments into concrete and implementable actions that can have a direct impact on our learners’ achievements and teachers’ improvements,” the DepEd declared in a statement.

Indeed, these are challenging times as we still confront the ongoing pandemic amid our efforts to attain quality education. But we can definitely recover and bounce back if we get our act together as one.

0 Shares

Add Comment